Adjective ou Adjetivo
1. v. i. To feel a lively, pungent local pain; -- said of some part of the body as the seat of irritation; as, my finger smarts; these wounds smart.
2. v. i. To feel a pungent pain of mind; to feel sharp pain or grief; to suffer; to feel the sting of evil.
3. v. t. To cause a smart in.
4. v. i. Quick, pungent, lively pain; a pricking local pain, as the pain from puncture by nettles.
5. v. i. Severe, pungent pain of mind; pungent grief; as, the smart of affliction.
6. v. i. A fellow who affects smartness, briskness, and vivacity; a dandy.
7. v. i. Smart money (see below).
8. v. i. Causing a smart; pungent; pricking; as, a smart stroke or taste.
9. v. i. Keen; severe; poignant; as, smart pain.
10. v. i. Vigorous; sharp; severe.
11. v. i. Accomplishing, or able to accomplish, results quickly; active; sharp; clever.
12. v. i. Efficient; vigorous; brilliant.
13. v. i. Marked by acuteness or shrewdness; quick in suggestion or reply; vivacious; witty; as, a smart reply; a smart saying.
14. v. i. Pretentious; showy; spruce; as, a smart gown.
15. v. i. Brisk; fresh; as, a smart breeze
astute similar term, sharp similar term, shrewd similar term, cagey similar term, cagy similar term, canny similar term, clever similar term, streetwise similar term, street smart similar term, with-it similar term, intelligent related term, stupid antonym adj, chic, voguish, stylish similar term, fashionable similar term adj, bright, intelligent similar term adj, fresh, impertinent, impudent, overbold, saucy, sassy, wise, forward similar term adj, intense similar term adj, fast similar term adj, automatic similar term noun, smarting, smartness, pain generic term, hurting generic term verb, ache, hurt, cause to be perceived generic term
He that is surety for a stranger shall smart for it: and he that hateth suretiship is sure.